Employees with an approved business need may be provided with a university owned device for business use at no cost to the employee.
Devices and/or services covered by this policy include:
- Cellular telephones
- “Smartphones” (such as Blackberry’s, iPhones, Android phones, etc)
- Handheld computers (i.e. iPads, tablets, netbooks, etc)
- Service plans (i.e. voice, data, insurance)
- Software, apps, and accessories
- Broadband access (air) cards and/or service. DSL, cable or other home-based Internet service
Justification for being issued a mobile device is determined by considering (but not limited to) the following criteria:
- Safety requirements dictate that having mobile/remote communication capabilities is an integral part of performing job duties.
- More than 50% of work is conducted away from the employee’s work station and the employee is required to be contacted on a regular basis.
- Employee is on‐call outside of normal work hours.
- The job requires the employee to be immediately accessible to receive and/or make frequent business calls outside of working hours.
- Other special circumstances approved by the Vice President of your division.
Cellular Telephones, Smartphones and Tablets
When there is an approved business need, the university will provide individuals with one of the current model devices and price plans that have been identified and approved as the University standard. See the Frequently Asked Questions for current models and plans.
Software and Accessories
Rider University does not reimburse individuals for the purchase of applications or accessories for mobile devices.
Device Usage, Confidential Data & Security
In accordance with this and other University policies, University owned mobile devices are to be used in a responsible manner for work related purposes.
- Personally Identifiable Information (such as SSN or other sensitive data) is not to be stored or accessed in an unencrypted format.
- Devices must be password protected.
- The University may implement security capabilities (such as “remote wipe”) on certain devices when possible.
- Users must immediately report lost or stolen devices to the OIT Help Desk.
- All users are expected to have read, understand and follow all University policies
- Rider University faculty and staff are expected to be familiar with the following policies that explain how to handle information properly:
- Information Security Policy
- Rights and Responsibilities of Users of the Rider University Network.
- FERPA guidelines
- Confidentiality Policy