The office of Disbursements is excited to partner with Career Development and Success (CDS) integrating campus employment with Handshake as an effort to improve the student job search experience and enhance student preparedness for entering professional careers. Students accessing Handshake have the ability to view and apply for undergraduate jobs and graduate assistantship positions on campus. If you have any questions please contact us at [email protected] or [email protected].
Perspective job seekers, new and returning student workers/graduate assistants, and hiring departments/supervisors can review the Student Employment Handbook for more detailed information regarding student employment polices and procedures.
Planning to work on campus?
What you need to bring to campus:
If you are planning to work on campus, be prepared to bring physical Proof of Identification and Work Authorization documents to campus in order to work. By federal law, all students must show unexpired and original documents (no photocopies or pictures of the documents) to Career Development & Success in order to complete the I-9 process. Students cannot begin working until they have shown proof of these documents. Student Workers who fail to complete this step within the allotted time, may result in suspension or termination of employment. For a list of acceptable documents to bring to campus, review page three of the I-9 form.
How to get a job on-campus?
- Access Rider’s Career Management Platform, Handshake. If you are a newly accepted student and starting at Rider University in the upcoming semester, please know you will not have access to Handshake until the beginning of the semester in which you are enrolled to start in.
- Get your resume approved by your CDS Career Coach. All resumes and cover letters are required to be reviewed and approved by a CDS staff member before it can be submitted to a job application. All documents require 4-5 business days for review and approval. Please plan accordingly and pay close attention to application deadlines. Need examples of what approved resumes should look like? Check out the Career Planning Guide for major specific and a first-year student resume examples. To get your application materials approved:
- Upload your resume and cover letter to the documents page of your Handshake account
- Your Career Coach will review your documents, provide feedback, and either approve or require changes. You will see the feedback left by your Career Coach under the document that was reviewed
- If your documents have the status of “Changes Required”, you must review the feedback and re-upload a revised document or schedule an appointment to meet with your Career Coach to discuss. Any job application that has a document with this status attached to it will automatically be withdrawn from consideration if the documents are not approved before the job posting expiration date
- Once your documents are approved, you can search and apply for student employment positions on Handshake. New postings are added daily. Students should note that peak on-campus hiring occurs at the start of each semester, so plan accordingly. Use the “on-campus” filter to only see the positions available at Rider.
- Formally request expert assistance on resumes, cover letters, networking skills and interviewing techniques by contacting or making an appointment with the CDS Career Coach in your college.
- Undergraduate students may also attend the Fall Job Fair where university departments will be available to meet with students, give an overview of their available positions and answer any questions students may have regarding student employment.
- Check out the Bronc Work Canvas page for interviewing and on-campus job searching resources.
- Actively connect and network with fellow students who are employed on campus. Speak with academic advisors and faculty/staff familiar with departments that employ Rider students.
- For incoming or current graduate students learn how to apply for Graduate Assistantships.
For more information and if you have any questions, please contact [email protected].